I have been super absent from blog land the last few days. I could say it’s because I’ve have lots of work to do, which is part of it, or because I’ve been trying to finish Allegiant, which is also true. But it’s mostly because I just did not feel like blogging. Like at all. Do you (since most of you reading have blogs of your own) ever get like that? Sometimes I feel this pressure to blog and read blogs, like I have to keep it up or my world will stop turning. But I have always had a rebellious spirit and hate feeling forced to do things, and I guess I just needed a break. And I want you to know I’m reading your blog because I want to, not because I feel I have to. It’s just that sometimes I just want to run away and do whatever for a while, k? 🙂
But since you’re all dying to know, here are a few things that have occupied my mind and time these past few days:
- Anti-April Foolery: I seriously hate April Fools’ Day. I am a believer of things, and I always fall for everything. Thus, when I spent at least a full hour yesterday being insanely excited about the promised return of the show Firefly, it was with deep sadness that I remembered the date. NOT COOL.
- Impossible giftery: What do you give to someone who has or could very easily acquire (and with much less financial damage than you) everything? Someone in our lives has been immensely helpful and supportive recently, and we have wanted to show our appreciation, but every gift just seems so pointless. Last night we eventually settled on a gift of a Taste Trunk, a food box I’ve never actually tried but that looks pretty good in the reviews I’ve read.
- Teething and waving: Oh yeah, so teething sucks. I mean, I’m assuming so, because Allie is back at it (top tooth number one made its appearance a couple of days ago!) and is all sorts of pouty and night-wakey. But she still manages to be amazingly smiley and giggly at the same time. OH, and she has totally mastered the wave! (Hand, not crowd.) Granted, she does it with both hands at once, but she understands enough to do it when we wave at her!
- Scrambled eggs: I had never in my life made eggs… until this week. For whatever reason, I don’t like eggs (except in cake or cookies or brownies or basically eggs plus anything)—though I think it may be the food I try to learn to like this year—but Allie tried some at a restaurant a week or so ago, and I realized this would be a good food for me to make for her. So the other morning I scrambled my first ever egg. Ummm so, it’s ridiculously easy. Painfully easy. Granted, I sort of overscrambled it the first time, but I tried again the next morning and the next, and not only am I a total promateur, but Allie totally loves eggs. #momwin #sortof
- Dreaming of campaigning for the change of American workplace norms: I read this article about how America’s workers are stressed out and overwhelmed, and I read somewhere else this past week about how so few people take the full hour for lunch and so many eat at their desks. I can attest to both of these from experience. Conclusion: Our workplace culture needs to change big time. It’s proven that people work better with more breaks, more vacation, and more unplugging—yet we still maintain our toxic culture of working late even when you don’t need to, always being available by email, and being ashamed about actually wanting to spend time with our families. This is ridiculous! And it is going to destroy American ingenuity and prosperity, IMHO. Okay, off soapbox.
- Headaches: And on the subject of being overwhelmed… this is what has literally occupied my mind lately. I don’t get headaches a lot, but I’ve had one almost non-stop for three days. Must mean it’s time for a vacation!
I hope whatever you are doing today, it’s something that you want to do!