I learned through blog hopping for Friday’s baby mama link up from Dancing With Ashley that apparently, this last weekend was the most depression-inducing weekend of the year. Upon further research, it turns out that the Monday of the last full week of January is known as Blue Monday. Granted, that would actually have been last Monday, but since the science isn’t exactly exact, I feel like the sentiment extends to this whole time of year. Christmas is over, it’s insanely cold out, and summer just seems so far away. Add to it the fact that it’s Monday, and it would be easy to feel blue.
So, just in case you need some ideas, and perhaps also for my own benefit, I’ve put together a list of a few basic things that always cheer me up:
- Anything listed in the image above (minus the alcohol in my case).
- Wearing a bright color. Or several of them.
- Listening to “Since U Been Gone” (or something similarly belt-worthy) at the loudest volume you can handle and singing along at the top of your lungs. (Sidenote: I did not realize until now that the official title of this song uses the short-form U instead of you’ve. This actually kind of annoys me.)
- Watching Mean Girls. Or Clueless. Or Devil Wears Prada.
- Reading/watching anything Dave Barry or Brian Regan.
- Calling that one long-time friend you actually haven’t spoken to in months but with whom you’ll be able to chat like no time has passed at all.
- Shopping. Granted, this actually requires spending money, but buying a new top or even a new book is always a surefire way to brighten my spirits! (Since I borrowed their images, feel free to check out ban.do‘s adorable hair accessories! They are super cute.)
- Watching this Sony Bravia commercial.
- Getting dressed up in something sparkly and going out to dinner.
- Ending the day with a candlelit bubble bath with a Norah Jones album playing.
Anything to add to this list? I hope you have a very un-blue Monday!