This past week I came across two totally unrelated articles from The Atlantic that have been on my mind. We’ll start with the fun stuff, shall we?
What babies can learn from cats
For all their inability to be trained in any way whatsoever, cats at least have one skill down: sleep. Not only is sleep rejuvenating and happiness-inducing; it’s kind of essential to survive. One of my Facebook friends posted this article the other day about the effects of sleep deprivation, and I learned a few troubling lessons:
- I classify as chronically sleep deprived.
- Depression and sleep deprivation manifest themselves in the same ways.
- Not sleeping enough literally poisons your body.
I suppose none of these should be a surprise. By a random miracle of teething chaos, our whole family got a two-hour nap yesterday afternoon, and I woke up feeling like a new woman. I can’t wait for how awesome and fun I’ll be once I start sleeping consistently again! Get excited, people! And in the meantime, some real fun stuff to look forward to…
Movies I’ll see if I ever learn to trust a babysitter
There really is a lot of cinema fun coming in 2014, much of which I hadn’t even heard about until I read this article! Any other former UPN watchers may remember the randomly awesome, cult-followed Veronica Mars, which, after a successful Kickstarter campaign, got the funding to be made into a movie—and it’s coming out in March! Totally excited. A few other highlights on the list of 2014 movies:
- Divergent: More than a little excited about this one.
- The Giver: So cool they are making a movie of this! Need to reread the book, though, since it’s been a decade or two…
- Hunger Games – Mockingjay Part 1: Of course I’ll have to see Catching Fire first, but still.
- Into the Woods: Have loved the musical for almost my whole life and cannot wait to see the movie!
- Unbroken: How awesome there’s a movie in the works! Already established as one of my favorite books ever.
Now about the whole trusting other people to watch my child thing… yeah. Working on that.